1. What is the importance of chanting in Buddhism?
    give an example to support you answer.
2. Give a description of what nibbana is according to Buddhism?
   Give an example to support this.

Dear Ian,

Chanting can be seen as an act of devotion, it may be a means of focussing and calming the mind, it may be considered a way to "accumulate merit", or it may be a liturgical element in practices involving visualisation - which is a complex field in Buddhism.

You will find examples at almost any Buddhist practice centre.

Nirvana (as it is written in Sanskrit-based forms of Buddhism) is the extinction of the poisonous bonds (greed, aversion and, most importantly, ignorance) that keep us stuck in the cycle of suffering.

What sort of example are you looking for?

Alex Wilding

I have practiced and studied Tibetan Buddhism in the Kagyu and Nyingma traditions since the early 1970s, and have a good knowledge of theory, history and of the struggles of trying to practice the teachings, including meditation, while leading a normal, modern life. I am also available to provide background information for journalists.

I have been a practitioner since the early 1970s; have run a small Buddhist centre in the English Midlands and was vice-president of Kagyu Benchen Ling e.V. in Germany, for whom I managed three large Buddhist summer-camps. More importantly, I maintain a habit of personal practice. I am the "owner" of the Kagyu list at Yahoo.

My first degree was an M.A. from Oxford. I later obtained a Master of Philosophy degree for a research thesis in "Initiation in Tibetan Buddhism" from Leicester University. I also have engineering and educational qualifications.