Buddhists/Happiness & Sadness in Buddhism

I've been raised up in a Buddhist household, but I find it difficult to understand certain aspects of Buddhist practice. I would like to understand happiness and how I can achieve it in my own life.
I deal constantly with so much sadness, and I wish to find ways to resolve this through Buddhist practice or way of thinking.

So, how is happiness attain in Buddhism? How can I get rid of sadness?

Thank you

Dear Jacqueline,

Thank you for the opportunity to answer your question.

Happiness in Buddhism is an interesting thing. The Buddha taught that happiness comes from understanding the truths of this world. Once we understand the truths - and rules, laws and the way things work, we will cease to have false expectations.

It is these expectations that give us temporary happiness followed by long lasting suffering. It makes us hope and believe in impermanent things, that end with us disappointed.

Therefore, by understanding the impermanence of all things, we see how the world works. Once we understand that, we can live more moderately, which is the key.

Moderation is the key in all things. By eating too much, even if it is tasty at the moment and brings us happiness, it also will lead to much suffering - ridicule from others, physical health problems, emotional problems. Therefore, instead of looking for the impermanent happiness which is food taste, we should focus on the longer happiness of taking the best care of our bodies and maintaining the best health we can - this will lead to confidence, health and praise from others.

In addition, all suffering comes from our minds. That is, we believe this or that, and therefore when something happens that contradicts our beliefs, suffering occurs. This is not become the external thing happened, but rather because we held an incorrect belief.

For example, if we believe all people are kind and generous, when we are cheated and scammed, we are very sad. However, the people who cheat and scam have always been out there, it is just us who held that belief that they weren't.

I hope I have answered your questions, feel free to ask for more clarification if you need it.

Anandapanyo Bhikkhu

I can answer questions about Buddhist practice, Buddhist understanding and how to apply Buddhism to daily life. I can help analyze Buddhist sayings and teachings. In addition, I can help with questions Buddhism stories, fables and Vinaya(rules). I have meditated for over 10 years and can help you start with meditation. In addition, I can help provide insight into what to do when you feel that you have hit a wall with your meditation. My main area of expertise is how to think in accordance with Sammaditthi (the right view - and number 1 in the Buddha's Noble Eightfold Path. If I cannot answer your question, I have many able teachers with over 20 years experience to help me, so chances are I will be able to find an answer for you.

I have been practicing Buddhism since I was born, but as a serious practice since 2003. I started studying under various famous Thai Theravada masters. Finally, I met and studied under Phra Acariya Thoon Khippapanyo who has recently passed away on Nov 11, 2008 and is widely accepted as a great Arahant (fully enlightened) teacher of our time. In addition, I have personally read and studied much of the Buddhist scriptures and popular literature available. I have recently undertaken the ordination vows and have become a Buddhist monk in the theravada forest monk tradition. I reside at a temple with many dedicated practitioners and great teachers. I have been practicing training my mind to be aligned with right view (sammaditthi) for over 10 years. I have also been meditating for over 10 years. In my time spent with Acariya Thoon, I learned many things and was able to incorporate them into my life. In addition to practicing Buddhism within temples and my home, I used to own two restaurants and managed commercial real estate. I had to deal with many different and problems. I learned how to use Buddhism to fix my problems, both externally (my environment) and internally (within me).

San Fran Dhammaram Temple KPYUSA - a non-profit religious organization

Electrical Engineering Degree from the University of California Santa Barbara MBA from San Francisco State