Buddhists/Just a few questions about what Buddhists believe.

Question
I would like to talk to someone in person, but there are no temples near me.

What do Buddhists think about abortion?

What do they think about self-defense? Is violence OK if you are defending yourself?

What if you see someone being hurt in a fight? Is it ok to defend another person?

What if you kill someone in self defense?

What happens if you stray away from the teachings of Buddha? For example, what if you hire a prostitute or do drugs or drink alcohol?

I keep reading about visiting Buddhists temples that have all these rules? What happens if you break these rules? Not purposely, but if you forget or just don't know.

Can war ever be justified to Buddhists? If a country is hurting their own people, is it wrong for another country to intervene? Or should you look the other way and let people be abused?

I understand that Buddhism is not a religion, but a way of thinking. I have read that the Buddha did not want people to bow down to him and treat his teachings like a religion. So how come I am seeing all this stuff on the internet that makes it look like a religion?

I currently follow no religion. I feel anything is possible. I think I am one of very few people on the planet who TRULY has an open mind. It may sound silly, but if a homeless man came up to me and said "The universe was created by 9 trillion year old monkey by the name of Zwapoo", I would tell him  "Yes, you COULD be right".

I would like to visit some of these temples some day as I find myself agreeing and wanting to know more about the Four Noble Truths and the Noble Eightfold Path. Not to mention that many of these places look beautiful! I am a fan of history and culture.

I have no problem taking my shoes off or any other custom, EXCEPT I have made a vow to bow down to NO man or preconceived God. It is something that goes very deep in my philosophy.

I TRULY believe that no matter who you are, we are ALL equal. Women and children are no exception.

This has rubbed people the wrong way before and I truly mean no disrespect.

People always tell me that you should be respectful of other peoples customs. Well again, it is MY custom (no matter where I am in the world) to NEVER bow down to ANYONE. Why can't they respect mine?

LOL, I know you will most likely recommend that I practice from home and don't go visit!

Thank you Justin in advance!
Joe

Answer
Hi Joe,

As you have lots of questions here, I shall answer them briefly.  Should you need further clarifications, please follow up.

What do Buddhists think about abortion?
Per se, abortion implies the killing of life.  It is not encouraged.  However, probing deeper, life consists of consciousness.  When did consciousness begin in the fetus?  

Defending oneself is natural.  Sometimes there may be a better way than violence.  

Would it be better to resolve the situation?  Also depends on what actually happened.

Killing is killing.  There may be a mitigating factor.  Again, in real life, we may have other choices.  

What is done cannot be undone.  We are not saints.  If you realized the fault, then don't repeat it in future.

Rules are man-made.  Not Buddhism.  They are more to do with tradition and culture.  If you broke the rules, no big deal, especially unintentionally.   

In the real world, sometimes we need to defend ourselves to survive.  For another country to meddle with the affairs of another is diplomatically incorrect. There are so many reasons for or against it, depending on your stand.  I don't think you can generalize things here.

As with any other things in this world, there are always misrepresentations and false practices.  You may like read my article : http://goodguy.hubpages.com/hub/Misconceptions-about-Buddhism

Do what you feel is comfortable so long as it is harmless.

No respectable Buddhist monk will command you to bow to them.  Don't worry.

Justin Choo

Buddhists

Justin Choo