Buddhists/taking refuge

I have been exploring Buddhism for a while and now feel ready to take Refuge. I have the opportunity to take it in February in a Mahayana center and later in the year in a Theravada center.
   My question is - I feel drawn to aspects of both traditions - do I take refuge in each tradition or do I take refuge once and that is ok and enough for both traditions?
   many thanks.

Dear Adele Redfern,

Thank you for the opportunity to answer your question.

Taking refuge is not a one time thing. It is an ongoing process. Over the course of your practice, you will be taking refuge many times. Most Theravada ceremonies start with the taking refuge process.

The more important part is internal. Externally, the taking refuge process is just a generic ceremony. However, how you perceive and internalize is the important part. No one enforces your taking refuge, no one follows up on you. It is personal and private.

You can take refuge in both traditions, because you are not taking refuge in the traditions, rather you are taking the Buddha Dhamma and Sangha.

Yes, doing a taking refuge ceremony once is more than enough. However, as I said, more than once (before ceremonies, during chanting, before meditation) is fine too.

Anandapanyo Bhikkhu

I can answer questions about Buddhist practice, Buddhist understanding and how to apply Buddhism to daily life. I can help analyze Buddhist sayings and teachings. In addition, I can help with questions Buddhism stories, fables and Vinaya(rules). I have meditated for over 10 years and can help you start with meditation. In addition, I can help provide insight into what to do when you feel that you have hit a wall with your meditation. My main area of expertise is how to think in accordance with Sammaditthi (the right view - and number 1 in the Buddha's Noble Eightfold Path. If I cannot answer your question, I have many able teachers with over 20 years experience to help me, so chances are I will be able to find an answer for you.

I have been practicing Buddhism since I was born, but as a serious practice since 2003. I started studying under various famous Thai Theravada masters. Finally, I met and studied under Phra Acariya Thoon Khippapanyo who has recently passed away on Nov 11, 2008 and is widely accepted as a great Arahant (fully enlightened) teacher of our time. In addition, I have personally read and studied much of the Buddhist scriptures and popular literature available. I have recently undertaken the ordination vows and have become a Buddhist monk in the theravada forest monk tradition. I reside at a temple with many dedicated practitioners and great teachers. I have been practicing training my mind to be aligned with right view (sammaditthi) for over 10 years. I have also been meditating for over 10 years. In my time spent with Acariya Thoon, I learned many things and was able to incorporate them into my life. In addition to practicing Buddhism within temples and my home, I used to own two restaurants and managed commercial real estate. I had to deal with many different and problems. I learned how to use Buddhism to fix my problems, both externally (my environment) and internally (within me).

San Fran Dhammaram Temple KPYUSA - a non-profit religious organization

Electrical Engineering Degree from the University of California Santa Barbara MBA from San Francisco State