Buddhists/Difficult people

Question
Hello sir. I am into a partnership business with four partners including myself. Out of the other three one of them really goes on my nerves. He never accepts his mistake, infact he is an expert in forcing his mistakes on others. This irritates me a lot and i have started developing extreme hatred towards him which many a times destroys my peace. I even thot of quitting but then i realized dat i would get such people throught my life and i cannot quit every now and then. The irony is dat we used to be best of friends during college days. How do i deal with him. Plz suggest something.

Answer
Dear Gurinder,

We can only change our part of the equation. One needs to go back through the situations and re-evaluate them from a more centralized and subjective perspective. In each of those situations, we see that they are acting improper and wrong. However, we overlook all our contributions to the situation.

Sometimes people give us the wrong answer, because we ask the wrong question. Sometimes people don't ask for our opinion because we always criticize. Sometimes people are stubborn in response to us being stubborn. Sometimes a problem can be solved easily if we see that we have a part in it.

If we expect all people in the world to change to suit our needs, we will have a very difficult life. However, if we can learn how to adjust to each type of person, we can find happiness in this life.

Think about each type of person like a plant. Each plant needs a different amount of water, dirt, fertilizer, sun and care. If you treat the plant wrong, the plant will die or have problems. If you treat the plants right, they will grow healthy and provide you with beauty, fruit and happiness.

Good luck!

Buddhists

Anandapanyo Bhikkhu