Hello. I was wondering if you could help me understand something that happened  to me in meditation. I had never meditated before but I read a book about it and decided to give it a try. About 10 minutes into it i stopped thinking and tasted feeling really good. This kept getting better and better until about 15 minutes into it was in absolute bliss.

The bliss only lasted a few minutes then I felt like I was falling and I was "back in my head" thinking again.

Do you know what this is/was?

Hi James,

Not many people will have experience like yours during their first encounter with meditation.  Usually the beginners will find "relaxing" or "blanking" the mind very difficult.  The first reaction or experience would usually be agitation of the aching physical body and the ever wandering mind full of stray thoughts.  

Your experience as you have described would mean to me that you were able to keep your mind relaxed and on one point.  The immediate experience will be the feeling of total relaxation and your mind in complete calmness.  In Buddhist parlance it is termed as "samadhi" in Pali.  Samadhi is the experience of total concentration of the mind such that the mind and the person maintain a spell of total stillness, called "samatha" or tranquility.  Usually this experience only lasts for a split second for beginners.  As the meditator progresses, the state of total bliss will increase in longer spell.  If this state of tranquility can be maintained for longer period, then the meditator will experience a higher state of tranquility called "jhana" or total absorption. There are four stages of jhanas, each more intense than the other.  

This type of meditative experience is through "samatha" meditation in that the meditator practises for the purpose of maintaining complete stillness of the mind by full concentration.  A further stage of meditation is called "insight" meditation or vipassana meditation where the meditator after maintaining full concentration, proceeds to meditate to gain insight into the realities of the body and existence. You can find out more about these two types of Buddhist meditation in the internet.  

Buddhist meditation is basically training of the mind to maintain tranquility and to lead the clear and tranquil mind to discern the true nature of life and existence.  It is a journey of inner mental experience.  The mission of this training of the mind is to lift up this person to live a peaceful and meaningful life and to serve others in the process.    

Hope this helps.

Justin Choo  

Justin Choo

All your questions will be answered, and you may not have to agree with the answers. Such is the beauty of Buddhism. I follow the Theravada tradition, and have been studying Buddhism for more than 50 years. As I am not a Buddhist scholar, I answer in simple language, and I prefer answering general questions rather than textual.

I was brought up in the 50's as a Buddhist. For the past 50 years I have read numerous books on Buddhism and listened to numerous talks on Buddhism by well-respected and learned monks and lay teachers. I have conducted Buddhist classes for parents of Sunday School children in a Theravada Buddhist Temple. My teacher was the late Chief Reverend, The Ven. K Sri Dhammananda of The Brickfields Buddhist Mahavihara, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. You can view the relevant website in memory of my revered late teacher @ and my blog posting at

I am a life member of the Buddhist Missionary Society Malaysia.

YOU ARE INVITED TO VISIT MY BLOG @ Published a book called "The Rainbow And The Treasure". It is a compilation of extracts from various sources to introduce Buddhism to beginners. (Currently out of print)

Bachelor of Commerce And Administration, Victoria University Of Wellington, NZ.(1974)