Budget Clothing Shopping/cutting long jeans and making them into shorts.

Question
I found that wrangler blue jeans long pants were $10 cheaper than their shorts. My question is if I buy the long pants and cut them to make them into shorts will my cutting them with scissors  weaken the shorts and make them not last as long as the more expensive shorts?
Thanks!

Answer
Jean Shorts
Jean Shorts  
Hi Robert!

Thanks for writing! Well, depending on the season, that can tend to happen. It seems ridiculous that more material costs less money, but that's fashion for you! When you shop during off-season times (like for summer clothing in the winter), you're bound to find good staple fashion items the cheapest. Keep that in mind for future purchases.

My only question is whether or not you want the actual "cut-off" look, or are looking for them to have a clean-cut at the bottom? If you simply cut the shorts, after each washing they will become more frayed. After a while, that can look kind of grungy, and much worse than the shorts you originally wanted to purchase. In that case, shelling out the extra $10 would benefit you.

To avoid that happening, you can add a seam. You can either leave the frayed bottom out, which will only allow the shorts to fray a little bit, or you can fold the bottom up and and add a seam that way, which will avoid fraying all together.

If you already own a sewing machine, or are good at sewing by hand, you can certainly take advantage of that. If that is out of the question, you might end up having to pay someone to do it for you and that can be pricey, making the $10 difference basically obsolete.

Another tip: if you do end up hemming the shorts yourself, keep in mind when you cut them that adding a hem will make them shorter, so be sure to leave an extra half inch or so.

I really hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions, or if there's anything I didn't cover!

Budget Clothing Shopping

Alana Finnie