Budget Travel/Passport or copy?

Hey Brian,

I plan on making a trip across Europe and wanted to know if it would be a better idea to bring my passport or just a copy of it? Thanks

Hello Ben,

You know it depends a little bit on what countries you go to.  Some may have different policies as to what they allow or dont allow.  Not taking it with you can afford you some safety should it get lost or stolen.  However, you may need it to get back into your home country -- so you would need a place to store it.  I may recommend that you take it with you but carry it at all times.  It would be nice if you could find somewhere where you could conceal it on your body, where others wouldn't be able to easily steal it.

I would recommend also making copies and keeping digital copies online that you can access in an emergency from a public cafe or what not.  Also, make sure that you check in with embassies and consulates.  I believe you can do this ahead of time.  Take another form of id.  It may be useful to go get a state id card and also bring your drivers license.  Store them in separate areas.  You can't really be over prepared.  Just some ideas.  It heavily depends on your comfort level and what countries you will be going to.

Good luck and have fun,

Budget Travel

Brian F

I can answer a lot of questions about travel including driving tips, budgeting, packing, vehicle preparation, route ideas, things to see, and more.

Over the past few years I have road tripped over 100,000 miles across the United States and Canada. I have driven across 50 states and 10 Canadian Provinces/Territories and checked out the sights along the way. If you need to know anything about road tripping or traveling in general I should be able to help out.

I have a master's degree. My educational credentials related to traveling is related to reading many articles about traveling and personal experiences.