Budget Travel/Flying Question

Dear Ms. Kelleher,

I am staying in New York City this August. I am staying with relatives either for a week or two weeks. They would like me to stay for a week and then determine if I want to stay another week. How could I book a flight down from Rochester NY and still have an affordable flight back? I would need to book a week and then change the return date a day or so before I was supposed to fly home if I decided to stay another week. Normally there are huge fees for this. The other option is to buy a one way ticket and then buy another one way ticket a day or two prior to flying home. This would make the return ticket very expensive.

Any ideas on what I could do?

Thank you!

Im not Ms. Kelleher, but this question came to me.  I would check one way prices (and roundtrip) via some of the travel search websites.  If you are a student or in your mid 20s or younger take a look at  I would see if any of the airlines offer an option to cancel your ticket (with an addon) or have a rebooking policy that would work with this.  I have heard of similar things but I do not know more about them.  You may also want to try asking on a travel website.

Sorry im not more help.

P.S. Or you could just say you are staying for a week or two or maybe 1.5 weeks or something...

Budget Travel

Brian F

I can answer a lot of questions about travel including driving tips, budgeting, packing, vehicle preparation, route ideas, things to see, and more.

Over the past few years I have road tripped over 100,000 miles across the United States and Canada. I have driven across 50 states and 10 Canadian Provinces/Territories and checked out the sights along the way. If you need to know anything about road tripping or traveling in general I should be able to help out.

I have a master's degree. My educational credentials related to traveling is related to reading many articles about traveling and personal experiences.