Budget Travel/Beach Bungalows

Question
Hello Zach,
I am a 59 year old, Caucasian, single male living in Tennessee U.S.A. I am searching to rent a super economical beach bungalow in Florida or the Carribbean area,(for the sake of cheaper airfare), for a couple of weeks or a month every year or so, during the worst of Winter weather...nothing fancy, just a hut or bungalow on or near the beach where I can relax, fish, read, and catch up on stuff and stay warm. I will be by myself. Not into night life, the club scene, or woman chasing. Just a simple, no frills or luxuries, primitive stay where I can get cheap eats, stay warm, and rest, but in a safe location.
I've found bungalows for low as $10.00/night on Corn Island, Nicaragua and beach bungalows in India for the same price, but I fear either getting robbed or the possibility of having someone plant drugs on me because they might dislike Americans, and then the nightmare or possibility of dealing with their legal systems and possibly a long prison stay.
Can you provide me with any recommendations or provide information on any links, books, etc. that would help me with what I have described above; preferrably in a country which utilizes a legal system as used in America?
I checked on airfares to some neat bungalows in Thailand but round trip would cost $1600.00. I think maybe Florida or the Carribbean area might be best economically.

Thank you greatly.

Mike E.

Answer
Hi Mike,

Note sure I can be of much help in this arena.  Most of the traveling I've done or talk with people about is along the lines of activities and outings.  You are wanting a simple place near a beach to just chill and fish.  That being said, I have a couple of ideas.

You could search craigslist, airbnb, or couchsurfers to find a solitary place that is to your liking.  couchsurfing.com isn't all about sharing a place, there are a lot of spots on there where you have the whole place to yourself at a cheaper rate.  

I really do think Thailand or the Philippines would be the best places but yes it is expensive to get there.  I'd recommend getting a United Mileage card and buy everything with it so you can fly abroad for free.  That is what I do.  It will take a year to build up but a flight to Thailand would just cost me $60 in taxes.

In regards to Nicaragua and India.  Yes there are problems with crime in those places.  You don't have to worry about getting hurt so much as robbed.  And I don't think you need to be worried about getting involved with their legal system.  As long as you're in a big city, the officials usually favor foreigners.  They understand tourists bring in most of their country's income.  As far as becoming a mule (accidentally carrying drugs), you should always pack your own bags and keep them in view at all times when traveling.  As long as you do that, you shouldn't have a problem with it.

Hope that helps a bit at least.  Good luck!  

Budget Travel

Zach Turner