Building Codes and Inspections/Drywall Fire Codes

Keith wrote at 2010-09-08 02:07:48
This answer will be found in the building code, not the fire code. The need for a rated assembly depends on any required occupancy and exit separation ratings, building construction type, and use group. Contact your local Building Official for this information.

Keith wrote at 2014-04-01 20:20:20
The only code that matters is the code enacted as law where the building is located. The Building Code Official of the municipality can tell what code applies so you can get the correct answer.

KF wrote at 2015-09-16 14:25:58
You need to be in touch with the building official for the municipality in which the building is located. they can tell you which edition of which code is law there.  One of the editions of the International Building Code may control, but you need to check which edition (2009, 2012, 2015?), and see if there have been any local amendments to the code that you need to be aware of. Rated floor/ceiling assemblies and ceilings are required in some cases depending on the type construction used.  there are cases in commercial building where a rating is required to protect roof trusses above from fire damage for a period of time to allow occupants additional time to escape the building in the event of fire.  This requirement is specific to the building and should be noted on the plans submitted for review when the building is reconstructed.  Even if it was not required in the original pre-fire construction, it may be now because the modern codes are more restrictive and safer.

Building Codes and Inspections

Sharon Toji