Building Codes and Inspections/Drywall Fire Codes


Keith wrote at 2010-09-08 02:07:48
This answer will be found in the building code, not the fire code. The need for a rated assembly depends on any required occupancy and exit separation ratings, building construction type, and use group. Contact your local Building Official for this information.

Keith wrote at 2014-04-01 20:20:20
The only code that matters is the code enacted as law where the building is located. The Building Code Official of the municipality can tell what code applies so you can get the correct answer.

KF wrote at 2015-09-16 14:25:58
You need to be in touch with the building official for the municipality in which the building is located. they can tell you which edition of which code is law there.  One of the editions of the International Building Code may control, but you need to check which edition (2009, 2012, 2015?), and see if there have been any local amendments to the code that you need to be aware of. Rated floor/ceiling assemblies and ceilings are required in some cases depending on the type construction used.  there are cases in commercial building where a rating is required to protect roof trusses above from fire damage for a period of time to allow occupants additional time to escape the building in the event of fire.  This requirement is specific to the building and should be noted on the plans submitted for review when the building is reconstructed.  Even if it was not required in the original pre-fire construction, it may be now because the modern codes are more restrictive and safer.

Building Codes and Inspections

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Sharon Toji


I have special expertise in the subject of accessibility codes and guidelines (ADA), and most specifically in the field of signage. If you have a question that is not about the ADA or about signs, I suggest you try the following excellent site: Naffa International BCDG (Building Code Discussion Group). The website address is You do have to register, but it's free. You will find discussions here on all kinds of Building Code Q & A topics. You go to the forum that sounds as if it's close to your topic, check out some of the posts and see if it sounds like a fit. Then pose your question. With luck, you may get some really good answers. You can email some of the experts individually by clicking on the headings of their posts. When you ask a question, of me, or of someone on the above site, tell them your state, and maybe your city if it's a large city. That is crucial for answering code questions. Sharon Toji


I am a voting delegate to the American National Standards Institute that writes accessiblity standards used by the International Building Code and are the basis for the ADA Accessibility Guidelines (ADAAG). I am also a member of the Access Advisory Committee to the California State Building Standards Commission, among other positions.

Signs and the ADA (a manual I have written that is used across the country), and articles in many trade journals.

BA, Reed College Graduate work, University of Munich (Germany) and University of California, Irvine

©2017 All rights reserved.