Building Codes and Inspections/building codes for hospital interior doors

i was hoping to find the code that dictates which way an office door in a hospital must swing.

Hi Randy -

According to the International Building Code and NFPA 101 The Life Safety Code, doors must swing in the direction of egress when they are serving an occupant load of 50 or more people, so if this is an individual office (small occupant load) the door could swing either way.  Most individual office doors swing into the office.

- Lori

Building Codes and Inspections

Lori Greene

I can help with code questions related to doors and hardware. I am familiar with the IBC, NFPA 80, NFPA 101, NFPA 105, ADAAG, and ICC/ANSI A117.1. My expertise is specific to door openings.

I have worked in the door and hardware industry since 1986. I have conducted countless presentations on code requirements for doors and hardware, and maintain a blog related to doors and hardware (

Door & Hardware Institute (DHI) Construction Specifications Institute (CSI) National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) International Code Councel (ICC)

Doors & Hardware Magazine

Vermont Technical College, Associate Degree in Architecture and Building Engineering Technology - 1986