Building Codes and Inspections/Dimensions of tread & risers on stairs

Question
Location:  Lynnwood, WA.  Is there a code requirement on the tread and risers on stairs in an apartment building built in 2003 and then converted to Condo's a couple years later?  Thank you.

Answer
Yes, the requirement is based on the code in effect when the building was constructed.  What you need to do is contact the Building Official for the municipality in which the building is located to research that in their records, or the code that the building complies with is usually indicated on the occupancy certificate that was issued at the end of construction. that person can also tell you if there are any local amendments to the code to the code that would apply to the construction back then. Once you determine what code was in force there, then that will lead to the answer you need.  Try calling 425-670-5420, they should be able to tell you what code the building was constructed under, as they should still have record of it.

Good Luck!  

Building Codes and Inspections

Keith Fuller