Building Codes and Inspections/Canopy glass

I am a glazing contractor, I have a job for a glass canopy  over head which will be 3/4" laminated (3/8" over 3/8", I am wondering does the code require it to be Heat strenghtend or Tempered?

Project is in NY city.

A very complicated question with a very complicated answer. My suggestion is to have it specified by the design professional and approved by the Building Code Official. The answer depends on the height, angle, and material of the glazing.  See the allowable glazing under section 2405 here:  

Building Codes and Inspections

Keith Fuller

I'm an ICC Certified Master Code Professional fielding general building code questions. My experience has been heavy in fire related issues.

I've been employed since 1985 as an inspector and plan reviewer, and am a municipal Assistant Building Official and Deputy fire Marshal. I've had fire service experience since 1972, having served as a three time Fire Chief and Fire Marshal in years past. The increasing workload, mandatory certifications, and continuing education requirements in recent years have caused me to concentrate my efforts on code related issues. I hold national fire service certifications as well.

ICC Master Code Professional