Building Codes and Inspections/Gas water heater Codes

Im getting a gas water heater installed and i want to get everything up to the proper codes,What should i purchase in order to be prepared for the plumber ,just incase he makes up any  false codes,just joking but ,I really want to have everything in order,I bought a drip pan and a gas valve so far,I reside in N.y.

Codes require that an appliance be installed in accordance with it's listing, which is the manufacturer's installation instructions.  If you know what model you are purchasing, most manufacturers have that information online; if not, it comes with the unit. If you are replacing an existing unit, be sure the venting system/chimney is suitable for continued use.  You may also have to add an expansion tank if your older installation does not have one. Some municipalities require flexible connections or unions installed so future replacement can be accommodated easier.  You didn't say whether the unit will be natural gas or propane fired.  They each have separate but similar code requirements.  Be sure to check with the Building Code Official in the municipality in which you are located to see if there are any local code amendments that will control your installation.  If you can, purchase the most efficient unit you can afford to save ongoing costs, and insulating the hot water system piping will save operating costs as well.

Good luck, and have a great new year!

Building Codes and Inspections

Keith Fuller

I'm an ICC Certified Master Code Professional fielding general building code questions. My experience has been heavy in fire related issues.

I've been employed since 1985 as an inspector and plan reviewer, and am a municipal Assistant Building Official and Deputy fire Marshal. I've had fire service experience since 1972, having served as a three time Fire Chief and Fire Marshal in years past. The increasing workload, mandatory certifications, and continuing education requirements in recent years have caused me to concentrate my efforts on code related issues. I hold national fire service certifications as well.

ICC Master Code Professional