Building Codes and Inspections/waterheater


I live in blaine Washington my water heater is inside and I want to move it outside. I want to build a room for it is there any special codes I need to know? I know earth quake straps, proper venting but does the room need to be made of something special?

I can't really serve as an expert on this, since it is far outside my area of expertise. However, in cases like this, I always suggest that if you don't want to go to the building department and ask them, and you don't want to pay anyone to plan the structure and get your permit, that you go to someplace where they sell water heaters and ask them what the rules are for the kind of structure you can put a water heater in. Certainly whatever you build your house from would work. Do you have a Home Depot or Lowes? They can possibly answer this question.

Sharon Toji

Building Codes and Inspections

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Sharon Toji


I have special expertise in the subject of accessibility codes and guidelines (ADA), and most specifically in the field of signage. If you have a question that is not about the ADA or about signs, I suggest you try the following excellent site: Naffa International BCDG (Building Code Discussion Group). The website address is You do have to register, but it's free. You will find discussions here on all kinds of Building Code Q & A topics. You go to the forum that sounds as if it's close to your topic, check out some of the posts and see if it sounds like a fit. Then pose your question. With luck, you may get some really good answers. You can email some of the experts individually by clicking on the headings of their posts. When you ask a question, of me, or of someone on the above site, tell them your state, and maybe your city if it's a large city. That is crucial for answering code questions. Sharon Toji


I am a voting delegate to the American National Standards Institute that writes accessiblity standards used by the International Building Code and are the basis for the ADA Accessibility Guidelines (ADAAG). I am also a member of the Access Advisory Committee to the California State Building Standards Commission, among other positions.

Signs and the ADA (a manual I have written that is used across the country), and articles in many trade journals.

BA, Reed College Graduate work, University of Munich (Germany) and University of California, Irvine

©2017 All rights reserved.