You are here:

Building Codes and Inspections/Building Codes for Interior Doors on Commercial Buildings and Sound Transmissions Codes


Hey Lori, My name is Roy Ford and I work for Catholic Charities in Oakland CA.  We are currently in the process of relocating to Richmond CA, and I have had a difficult time finding someone to answer the following building code questions for me.  I hope you can assist me with the following questions:

1.  Interior Door codes or regulations - we have clinicians who often are working with young children in rooms, and we are wondering if these rooms should have windows based on certain codes or regulations that may apply.

2.  Sound transmission codes that may exist for a Behavorial Heath Care facility.


Hi Roy -

I'm sorry for the delay.  I wanted to do some research and see if I could answer your question.  This is not a code issue (my specialty); it is more likely to be in the health care regulations or design standards for your state or organization.  I checked with several of my colleagues, and they did not know specifically where this would be stated.  I have not seen this addressed in the building or life safety codes.  

- Lori

Building Codes and Inspections

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Lori Greene


I can help with code questions related to doors and hardware. I am familiar with the IBC, NFPA 80, NFPA 101, NFPA 105, ADAAG, and ICC/ANSI A117.1. My expertise is specific to door openings.


I have worked in the door and hardware industry since 1986. I have conducted countless presentations on code requirements for doors and hardware, and maintain a blog related to doors and hardware (

Door & Hardware Institute (DHI) Construction Specifications Institute (CSI) National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) International Code Councel (ICC)

Doors & Hardware Magazine

Vermont Technical College, Associate Degree in Architecture and Building Engineering Technology - 1986

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]