Building Codes and Inspections/doors

Question
is a door required by code(IRC)to a basement in an apartment building that is not occupied there is a furnace and water tank in basement this would be from the common hallway

Answer
Hi Jeff -

I don't know for sure whether a door would be required because I don't know enough about your building, and also I typically deal with commercial construction codes.  But my gut feeling is that this would require a door.  If there was a fire in the furnace area you would want to protect the means of egress for the residents to escape.

- Lori

Building Codes and Inspections

Lori Greene