Building Codes and Inspections/doors

is a door required by code(IRC)to a basement in an apartment building that is not occupied there is a furnace and water tank in basement this would be from the common hallway

Hi Jeff -

I don't know for sure whether a door would be required because I don't know enough about your building, and also I typically deal with commercial construction codes.  But my gut feeling is that this would require a door.  If there was a fire in the furnace area you would want to protect the means of egress for the residents to escape.

- Lori

Building Codes and Inspections

Lori Greene

I can help with code questions related to doors and hardware. I am familiar with the IBC, NFPA 80, NFPA 101, NFPA 105, ADAAG, and ICC/ANSI A117.1. My expertise is specific to door openings.

I have worked in the door and hardware industry since 1986. I have conducted countless presentations on code requirements for doors and hardware, and maintain a blog related to doors and hardware (

Door & Hardware Institute (DHI) Construction Specifications Institute (CSI) National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) International Code Councel (ICC)

Doors & Hardware Magazine

Vermont Technical College, Associate Degree in Architecture and Building Engineering Technology - 1986