Building Codes and Inspections/New Furnace Placement-Base

Question
Furnace Sets on Duct
Furnace Sets on Duct  
We replaced our old unit with a new carrier Performance 96 furnace. The HVAC company installed the furnace directly ontop an old sheet metal duct, with the front of the furnace hanging off the duct by about 1/3 the furnace's depth (about 9 inch overhang without support). The furnace isn't level. Is it proper to place a new furnace directly ontop an old duct, with no other support?  The furnace is in a closet in our kitchen.  Thank you for any help, we have thoroughly searched the manual and Internet and cannot find this level of detail.

Answer
Frank:

Was the HVAC company's name "Goldberg" (as in Rube)? I assume that's an upflow furnace, and that the duct shown is the return. If so, the return is restricted; check your IOM, there should be language requiring the full bottom opening to be used.

Fred

Building Codes and Inspections

Fred Weldin