Building Codes and Inspections/bathroom venting

Question
I have completly gutted my bathroom. My plumber says we should use an "Autovent" instead of running new pvc to connect to roof roof vent, for the exhaust gases of toilet and sink. It would be placed under the sink. Is this a good Idea? Is an Autovent code in Town of Hempstead, NY?

Answer
I'm sorry that this totally outside my realm of expertise, which is the ADA. The best way to find out is to ask your city building department. Someone at the counter should be able to answer your question. Another possibility is to google up the Autovent, and then contact those selling it to find out where it fits in the code. Actually, I just did that and found that it is probably questionable that an autovent wold be allowed for the entire bathroom. I think your city permit desk is your best bet. It differs from place to place, and unfortunately, you will find different inspectors even interpreting the code differently.

The other question to ask is if your plumber is licensed. Although it costs more, it's always best, in my opinion, to work with a licensed contractor for anything that is more than a "handyman" type of project unless you are capable of performing the work yourself.

Sharon Toji

Building Codes and Inspections

Sharon Toji