Building Codes and Inspections/building code for utility/laundry room doors

My laundry room also contains by Hot Water tank and gas burner.  
There are two doors in the laundry room.  One door goes into the garage and is a fire-rated door with a vent.

The other door into the laundry room is accessed through my hallway.

I want to replace the door that is in my hallway going into the laundry room.  Do I need a special door?  In case of a fire, I already have two other outdoor accesses to exit.  Kindly advise.

Do I need a fire rated door, a regular door, a solid core door??  I live in the Town of Islip, New York.

Hi Karen -

Most residential building codes only require a fire rated door between the garage and the house (although they usually don't have a louver or vent).  I have never seen a special door used for the laundry room in a home, as long as the laundry room is part of the house and not part of the garage.  

I would recommend talking to your local building department to see what they will require, as your local codes may differ from the national requirements that I'm familiar with.  

- Lori

Building Codes and Inspections

Lori Greene

I can help with code questions related to doors and hardware. I am familiar with the IBC, NFPA 80, NFPA 101, NFPA 105, ADAAG, and ICC/ANSI A117.1. My expertise is specific to door openings.

I have worked in the door and hardware industry since 1986. I have conducted countless presentations on code requirements for doors and hardware, and maintain a blog related to doors and hardware (

Door & Hardware Institute (DHI) Construction Specifications Institute (CSI) National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) International Code Councel (ICC)

Doors & Hardware Magazine

Vermont Technical College, Associate Degree in Architecture and Building Engineering Technology - 1986