Building Codes and Inspections/building code for utility/laundry room doors

Question
My laundry room also contains by Hot Water tank and gas burner.  
There are two doors in the laundry room.  One door goes into the garage and is a fire-rated door with a vent.

The other door into the laundry room is accessed through my hallway.

I want to replace the door that is in my hallway going into the laundry room.  Do I need a special door?  In case of a fire, I already have two other outdoor accesses to exit.  Kindly advise.

Do I need a fire rated door, a regular door, a solid core door??  I live in the Town of Islip, New York.

Answer
Hi Karen -

Most residential building codes only require a fire rated door between the garage and the house (although they usually don't have a louver or vent).  I have never seen a special door used for the laundry room in a home, as long as the laundry room is part of the house and not part of the garage.  

I would recommend talking to your local building department to see what they will require, as your local codes may differ from the national requirements that I'm familiar with.  

- Lori

Building Codes and Inspections

Lori Greene