Building Codes and Inspections/Tempered glass in older rental home

Question
I rented a home in CA which was built in 1947.   The shower door broke into large shards and pieces when my son tried opening from inside because it was stuck.  This required ER visit and involved stitches to a laceration on his shoulder.  Also the extremely large picture window was broken by a child's toy hitting it from outside.  The sill is approximately 12in from the floor and the measurements are approx 5X 10 ft. I just moved and the property manager deducted the cost of window repair from my deposit.  Were rentals required to have tempered glass before being rented since it was older home?  Do I have any recourse?  Thank you.

Answer
The glazing regulations would apply at the time the building was constructed, so back then, the requirement probably was not existing; I don't know for sure. If the building was renovated, and the windows or shower door replaced, then there may be a case that the code at that time would apply. What was the law when could be answered by the Building Code Official of the municipality where the building is located. They could also let you know if there are any other regulations that would apply in addition to the building code, like a rental property ordinance, etc..  

Building Codes and Inspections

Keith Fuller