You are here:

Building Codes and Inspections/code requirements for stoves in a commercial building


Keith, I am a contractor in Rockford, IL., Winnebago Co. I have a question regarding the placement of a gas or electric stove in a commercial/steel constructed building. This building is by no means used as a public eatery and the kitchen area will not be using commercial grade appliances.  The building will be used for business billing purposes and the kitchen for the cooking and reheating of employees meals. What are the requirements to place a four burner gas or electric range in such an enclosure. I am looking for particular code requirements to this question before any work or inspections are to take place.

Codes different depending on the area, and may have some amendments that pertain to only the jurisdiction that passes the law, so you want to be sure to check with your local Building Official where the building is located.

Part of the plan approval process will be to check the plans for compliance.  Most commercial work requires the seal of a design professional who will do the design based on your codes there.  

Generally, a business can have a kitchen for it's employees' convenience where employees prepare their own food for their own use, provided it does not create a zoning violation by having a kitchen. You may be restricted from having a required exit through the kitchen, and the range hood may have to be protected by a small fire extinguishing system. There are small systems that are designed to go into what looks like a residential range hood, instead of a full blown system as one would have in a restaurant. Other than that, they're pretty much like a residential kitchen.  If you decide to serve food to the public, then you bring in other regulations for food service by the health department, etc.. Most businesses do without the range to avoid installing the fire system and instead use a microwave for reheating instead. You may have to comply with accessibility provisions for the sink access, etc..

Run it all by the design professional.  If they know what you'd like to do, then they can work with you for the most cost effective way to get you what you need.

Building Codes and Inspections

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Keith Fuller


I'm an ICC Certified Master Code Professional fielding general building code questions. My experience has been heavy in fire related issues.


I've been employed since 1985 as an inspector and plan reviewer, and am a municipal Assistant Building Official and Deputy fire Marshal. I've had fire service experience since 1972, having served as a three time Fire Chief and Fire Marshal in years past. The increasing workload, mandatory certifications, and continuing education requirements in recent years have caused me to concentrate my efforts on code related issues. I hold national fire service certifications as well.

ICC Master Code Professional

©2017 All rights reserved.