Building Codes and Inspections/building code of location for apartment to put up their garbage bin

Hello, I am a home owner who is worrying about the safety of my home. My neighbor is an apartment building and it has put up the garbage bin real close to my fence. Although it's on their side of the property but it's only less than 2 feet away from my wooden fence and within 20 feet from my kitchen I got flies problem and today there was a fire broke out in there. Apparently some of their tenant dump may be something explosive and it caught fire. My wooden fence is only 2 feet away from these dump sight. I wonder if it is okay for me to ask the apartment management to consider move their garbage bin to different location (which it got a huge parking lot area any of those location would have be less dangerous to my property or is there anything I can do to get rid of the worry of having my house burn down from the garbage fire. Thank  you very much.

I understand your concern. I would suggest speaking with the property owner next door to see if they just won't move the cans. The building code won't be of much help to you, although it might be worth checking with your municipal code official, as sometimes municipalities have other ordinances or a fire code section that would apply.  Good luck!

Building Codes and Inspections

Keith Fuller

I'm an ICC Certified Master Code Professional fielding general building code questions. My experience has been heavy in fire related issues.

I've been employed since 1985 as an inspector and plan reviewer, and am a municipal Assistant Building Official and Deputy fire Marshal. I've had fire service experience since 1972, having served as a three time Fire Chief and Fire Marshal in years past. The increasing workload, mandatory certifications, and continuing education requirements in recent years have caused me to concentrate my efforts on code related issues. I hold national fire service certifications as well.

ICC Master Code Professional