Building Codes and Inspections/Bathroom Window


Keith, I am putting in a clawfoot tub with a window at the end of the tub. The tub will sit angled between a drywall and the window on the end.Is the window subject to the 60" tempered glass code? Thank you.

Thanks for writing. First, you should be in contact with the municipal Building Code Official in the municipality where the building is located to confirm which code applies to your building, and to be sure there are no local amendments that would impact your project. Codes are not standardized across the country.

Section R308.4 #5 of the 2009 ICC International Building Code calls for tempered or safety glazing in all walls facing tubs where the glazing is located less than 60" above the walking surface.

In a case where a person could slip and fall against the glass, I recommend that the tempered or safety glazing be used, and err on the side of safety's sake, even if you get into a grey area of code interpretation.

Best of luck with your project!  

Building Codes and Inspections

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Keith Fuller


I'm an ICC Certified Master Code Professional fielding general building code questions. My experience has been heavy in fire related issues.


I've been employed since 1985 as an inspector and plan reviewer, and am a municipal Assistant Building Official and Deputy fire Marshal. I've had fire service experience since 1972, having served as a three time Fire Chief and Fire Marshal in years past. The increasing workload, mandatory certifications, and continuing education requirements in recent years have caused me to concentrate my efforts on code related issues. I hold national fire service certifications as well.

ICC Master Code Professional

©2017 All rights reserved.