Building Codes and Inspections/Gas/Water Heater

When we bought the house the boiler was a gas heater that was put in the kitchen attached to the chimney around the boiler there was a little closet that was made from cardboard. I am interested to know if there is a special/Specific way that this little closet should be made. Should there be a certain way that is should be built, and what materials should we use? After this little closet made can we put kitchen cabinets and a stove near it? We could make it the same size as the pervious closet if necessary but we would just like to know how and what to make it of. If you cant help us specifically could you should us a website that could help us? Thank you

Basically, equipment has to be installed in accordance with its listing, or manufacturer's installation instructions. So, you need to provide the space required by the manufacturer to combustibles, plus any additional space needed to service the unit (change filters, remove pumps, etc..)and replace it when the time comes (It needs to fit out the door).  Additionally, any required combustion air requirement needs to be met, so vents for combustion air might be needed if the air isn't drawn from outdoors.

After clearances and combustion air requirements are met, then cabinetry and other items can be installed.

Generally, a permit is needed for this type of work, so be sure to check with your municipal Building Official, as these are the type items checked when the permit(s) are issued.

Be safe!

Building Codes and Inspections

Keith Fuller

I'm an ICC Certified Master Code Professional fielding general building code questions. My experience has been heavy in fire related issues.

I've been employed since 1985 as an inspector and plan reviewer, and am a municipal Assistant Building Official and Deputy fire Marshal. I've had fire service experience since 1972, having served as a three time Fire Chief and Fire Marshal in years past. The increasing workload, mandatory certifications, and continuing education requirements in recent years have caused me to concentrate my efforts on code related issues. I hold national fire service certifications as well.

ICC Master Code Professional