Building Codes and Inspections/Apartment entry door

Question
I just replaced the entry door to an apartment and the tenant did not want a peep hole installed.  The landlord said it is building code that it must have one.  The door is on the outside of the building and not in a hallway.  Can you tell me if this is a building code in Lincoln, Nebraska?
Thank you.

Answer
To be honest, I don't know, but contacting this individual should get you your answer. They have a lot of amendments to the standard code there, so I don't want to give you incorrect information. Installing an item like that can void the fire rating of the door, but in your case, that is probably not an issue.

It  might just come down to the fact that the landlord owns the door, so the tenant might just have to deal with it.

Mel Goddard
Chief Building Inspector
(402) 441-6423
mgoddard@lincoln.ne.gov  

Building Codes and Inspections

Keith Fuller