Building Codes and Inspections/landings at stairs

(ICC-2009)  In commercial work a landing is required at the top and the bottom of the stairs, and the door must not swing onto the landing.  Question:  In residential, the stairway landing is not required if the door does not swing into the stairs at the top of the stairs, R311.7.5.  Now, I need a landing at the bottom of the stairs, lets say 36"X36" minimum landing.  Is my door allowed to swing over the landing at the bottom of the stairs for residential work?

I can double check the interpretive guide book when I get into work tomorrow, but I believe not. The reason is because if you are coming down the stairs, then you have to pull the door onto the landing that you intend to step onto, causing you to back up and possibly fall backwards on the bottom step. It is a safety concern. I believe you have it correct with your interpretation.

Also, be sure to check with the local building official to be sure there are not any local amendments to the code that you need to be aware of.

Building Codes and Inspections

Keith Fuller

I'm an ICC Certified Master Code Professional fielding general building code questions. My experience has been heavy in fire related issues.

I've been employed since 1985 as an inspector and plan reviewer, and am a municipal Assistant Building Official and Deputy fire Marshal. I've had fire service experience since 1972, having served as a three time Fire Chief and Fire Marshal in years past. The increasing workload, mandatory certifications, and continuing education requirements in recent years have caused me to concentrate my efforts on code related issues. I hold national fire service certifications as well.

ICC Master Code Professional