Building Codes and Inspections/water heaters

Question
Been told we have to raise the water heater off the floor and strap to be up to CA code. How high off the garage floor does it need to be and what does it have to be mounted on?

Answer
I can tell you that our own water heater was installed by Sears according to code. It is on a plywood "box" about 2 feet off the floor of the garage, and strapped to the wall. I would suggest checking for the exact code by either calling your local building department or checking with a company that installs water heaters. They should be able to tell you, but I'm pretty sure that ours is legal, and that is how and where it is mounted.

My own expertise is in ADA codes so this is just from our own experience of having a legally installed water heater in Irvine California, where I"m pretty sure the code is appropriately stringent.

Sharon Toji

Building Codes and Inspections

Sharon Toji