Building Codes and Inspections/Query

Good day
With reference to specifications for quality standards and specifications I have the following questions.
I work for a company involved in land development SIC 6552 and NAICS 237210.
1. Where am i able to obtain quality standards for these two industry codes?
2. Know there is BIS, ASTM standards etc... Can you refer me to any guides, websites etc.. that can provide with with cross reference standards and relevant ones. For example if I wanted to find out standards similar to the relevant ASTM in other types standards- where am I able to find this.
3. Are there any websites/ resources that can provide one with standards relevant to a specific product / industry?

I think I can only give you a little information, hopefully of some use. I myself am a member of one standards writing body, the American National Standards Institute A117.1 Committee that writes standards for accessible and usable buildings and facilities. When I need to find a standard to refer to, I actually go to the various standards writing bodies, like ASTM, and do searches for standards for the aspects i want to check. You can also check other country's standards. The British Standards Institute is a good one. There is also the ISO. I wanted to find ways, for instance, to test light reflectance values for various materials used in construction, so I had to do a lot of searching both in the various standards, and also just by using search services like Google.

You might also want to contact the secretariat of ANSI and see if they had any help for you.

Good luck.  

Building Codes and Inspections

Sharon Toji

I have special expertise in the subject of accessibility codes and guidelines (ADA), and most specifically in the field of signage. If you have a question that is not about the ADA or about signs, I suggest you try the following excellent site: Naffa International BCDG (Building Code Discussion Group). The website address is You do have to register, but it's free. You will find discussions here on all kinds of Building Code Q & A topics. You go to the forum that sounds as if it's close to your topic, check out some of the posts and see if it sounds like a fit. Then pose your question. With luck, you may get some really good answers. You can email some of the experts individually by clicking on the headings of their posts. When you ask a question, of me, or of someone on the above site, tell them your state, and maybe your city if it's a large city. That is crucial for answering code questions. Sharon Toji

I am a voting delegate to the American National Standards Institute that writes accessiblity standards used by the International Building Code and are the basis for the ADA Accessibility Guidelines (ADAAG). I am also a member of the Access Advisory Committee to the California State Building Standards Commission, among other positions.

Signs and the ADA (a manual I have written that is used across the country), and articles in many trade journals.

BA, Reed College Graduate work, University of Munich (Germany) and University of California, Irvine