Building Codes and Inspections/Gas Water Heater

Question
new gas water heater installed by contractor is not elevated above concrete floor in garage. we park 2 cars in garage. is this safe?

Answer
It could possibly be a problem, or even a violation depending on the code where you live, which probably requires that it be elevated if it is a flame or spark producing appliance. If it has a sealed combustion chamber and is listed for an installation like that, you might be ok, but the other reason to elevate it, besides preventing gasoline fumes from being ignited, is to prevent it from damage by being hit by a vehicle. In my area, a permit is required specifically so the installation can be checked for code compliance.

I recommend contacting the Building Official in the municipality where the building is located.  That person can advise you of the law there. Building regulations are location specific.

Building Codes and Inspections

Keith Fuller