Building Codes and Inspections/dryer vent run

Question
I have a GE dryer model# gtdp180ed0ww seriaI have a GE dryer model# gtdp180ed0ww serial# sz733062a previous homeowner did a terrible job venting and am going to replace with a rigid vent. Manual says to use shortest run possible and that's it. I live in kennewick, wa and just was wondering if you knew what the maximum feet a run could be with this model. I am aware of adding 5 feet for 90 elbows and such. Thank you.l# sz733062a previous homeowner did a terrible job venting and am going to replace with a rigid vent. Manual says to use shortest run possible and that's it. I live in kennewick, wa and just was wondering if you knew if there was a code or guideline of what the maximum feet a vent run could be with this model. I am aware of adding 5 feet for 90 elbows and such. Thank you.

Answer
Most codes refer the installation of equipment and appliances to the manufacturer's listing.  In other words, the equipment must be installed in accordance with the manufacturer's installation instructions.  Codes give a general requirement for builders to use when homes are constructed not knowing what brand of appliance will be connected to the dryer vent.  That's where you may have heard of a maximum of 25 feet, then subtracting 5 feet for each 90 degrees of bend. Exhaust duct should be rigid without screws at joints (tape the joints only).

Basically, install it according to the directions.  Keep it as short and straight as possible.

I always recommend checking with the Building Code Official where the building is located to be sure they have not local regulation that apply.

Building Codes and Inspections

Keith Fuller