Building Codes and Inspections/Fire resistance of insulation material

Question
In a earlier forum I read someone asking whether or not placing shredded paper in their attic as insulation was safe and align with building codes. my question is somewhat in line with what they were asking. Is there a section in the international building codes that regards to the fire resistance of a given insulation material? In other words, what codes do I follow when choosing whether an insulation material is safe to place in my home?

Answer
Blown in cellulose insulation is common, as is insulation made from shredded blue jeans, recycled products.  As far as I know, all similar type insulation products are treated with a fire retardant, the documentation of which is available on the manufacturer's websites.

Section R302 of the ICC International Residential Code mandates smoke and flame spread characteristics for the various types of insulation. There are similar requirements in the International Building Code for other than on and two family dwellings and townhomes.  

Building Codes and Inspections

Keith Fuller