Building Codes and Inspections/interior door opening into hallway

KF wrote at 2015-09-16 14:42:06
All egress doors must be side swinging.  A pocket door is not permitted to be an element of egress in a commercial building.  The corridor doors are inset to prevent the opening door from blocking or impeding the egress capabilities of the corridor.  You cannot legally modify the means of egress without the approval of the building official, who will guide you.  this is why the seal of a design professional is usually required on all commercial projects.

Building Codes and Inspections

Lori Greene

I can help with code questions related to doors and hardware. I am familiar with the IBC, NFPA 80, NFPA 101, NFPA 105, ADAAG, and ICC/ANSI A117.1. My expertise is specific to door openings.

I have worked in the door and hardware industry since 1986. I have conducted countless presentations on code requirements for doors and hardware, and maintain a blog related to doors and hardware (

Door & Hardware Institute (DHI) Construction Specifications Institute (CSI) National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) International Code Councel (ICC)

Doors & Hardware Magazine

Vermont Technical College, Associate Degree in Architecture and Building Engineering Technology - 1986