Building Codes and Inspections/interior door opening into hallway

Question
At our church, the we would like to expand our quilting room.  The current door is set back from the hall so it does not extend into the hall which is six feet wide.  We would like to move the door three feet to give the women more room.  One carpenter says no another said the hallway is wide enough.  Which is correct? Is a pocket door acceptable?

Answer
Hi Jim -

I would have to see a floor plan to give you a better idea, but the issue is the encroachment of the door into the required corridor width.  There is an article here that explains encroachment:  http://idighardware.com/2012/10/door-swing-and-encroachment/.

If the occupant load of the quilting room is less than 50 people (here is an article about how to calculate that:  http://idighardware.com/2014/07/decoded-calculating-the-occupant-load/), the door may be able to swing into the room so it will not be an encroachment issue.  

You could use a pocket door if a) the door is not required to be fire rated, and b) the occupant load of the room is less than 10 people (the calculated load, not the number of quilters you typically have in the room).  

I hope this helps.  You could probably get an answer from your local building department.

- Lori

Building Codes and Inspections

Lori Greene