Building Codes and Inspections/Threshold @firerated doors

Is a threshold required at a 20 min. firerated door?

A product has to be installed in accordance with it's listing to obtain the specified rating. The listing requirements are basically the manufacturer's installation instructions for the particular door you are using. Many times 20 minute doors are used between a residence and attached garage and have a threshold for energy weatherstripping reasons if the threshold is not needed to obtain the rating required, so it almost becomes a non-issue.

Be sure to check with the Build Code Official of the municipality in which the building is located. That person can also let you know what edition of what code applies and if there are any local code amendments.

Building Codes and Inspections

Keith Fuller

I'm an ICC Certified Master Code Professional fielding general building code questions. My experience has been heavy in fire related issues.

I've been employed since 1985 as an inspector and plan reviewer, and am a municipal Assistant Building Official and Deputy fire Marshal. I've had fire service experience since 1972, having served as a three time Fire Chief and Fire Marshal in years past. The increasing workload, mandatory certifications, and continuing education requirements in recent years have caused me to concentrate my efforts on code related issues. I hold national fire service certifications as well.

ICC Master Code Professional