Building Codes and Inspections/Threshold @firerated doors

Question
Is a threshold required at a 20 min. firerated door?

Answer
A product has to be installed in accordance with it's listing to obtain the specified rating. The listing requirements are basically the manufacturer's installation instructions for the particular door you are using. Many times 20 minute doors are used between a residence and attached garage and have a threshold for energy weatherstripping reasons if the threshold is not needed to obtain the rating required, so it almost becomes a non-issue.

Be sure to check with the Build Code Official of the municipality in which the building is located. That person can also let you know what edition of what code applies and if there are any local code amendments.

Building Codes and Inspections

Keith Fuller