Building Codes and Inspections/Doorjamb Steel

Could you please comment whether the steel of doorjamb (Door Frame) can be termed as "structural steel" or not?

Actually, in our project specifications, there is some confusion regarding steel type to be used in doorjamb. The engineer tends to apply specifications of structural steel on doorjamb steel while the Contractor's point of view is that doorjamb is not considered as structural steel. What would be your expert opinion?

Hi Arslan -

In my opinion, a door frame would not be considered structural steel.  Most frames are fabricated from 16 gauge steel - some are slightly heavier or lighter gauge, but would not be able to carry a load in addition to the door.

- Lori

Building Codes and Inspections

Lori Greene

I can help with code questions related to doors and hardware. I am familiar with the IBC, NFPA 80, NFPA 101, NFPA 105, ADAAG, and ICC/ANSI A117.1. My expertise is specific to door openings.

I have worked in the door and hardware industry since 1986. I have conducted countless presentations on code requirements for doors and hardware, and maintain a blog related to doors and hardware (

Door & Hardware Institute (DHI) Construction Specifications Institute (CSI) National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) International Code Councel (ICC)

Doors & Hardware Magazine

Vermont Technical College, Associate Degree in Architecture and Building Engineering Technology - 1986