Building Codes and Inspections/Doorjamb Steel

Question
Could you please comment whether the steel of doorjamb (Door Frame) can be termed as "structural steel" or not?

Actually, in our project specifications, there is some confusion regarding steel type to be used in doorjamb. The engineer tends to apply specifications of structural steel on doorjamb steel while the Contractor's point of view is that doorjamb is not considered as structural steel. What would be your expert opinion?

Regards

Answer
Hi Arslan -

In my opinion, a door frame would not be considered structural steel.  Most frames are fabricated from 16 gauge steel - some are slightly heavier or lighter gauge, but would not be able to carry a load in addition to the door.

- Lori

Building Codes and Inspections

Lori Greene