Building Codes and Inspections/Digital signage accessibility

Question
Thank you for addressing my question. I'm curious about technological advances that will help digital signs meet Section 508 requirements (specifically Sec. 5081194.24-Video & multimedia products and 1194.31-Functional performance criteria). The higher education institution I work at is adopting more and more digital signs but they have no audio description of the text. So I'm curious what products address these federal standards?

Answer
I sent your question to Marsha Mazz, head of the Technical Department at the U.S. Access Board. We are here together at the ANSI A117 meeting in Washington DC. Unfortunately, she did not really answer your question, but did refer you to the proper source for a possible answer. Also, as you will see when I include her brief note, an update to the standard will be published very soon, so hopefully that will include some assistance. However, I do want to suggest that you contact the various government and standards setting bodies that deal with these questions, and tell them what standards you need to see, as someone in the field. This is how they decide what they need to deal with. You are their best source of information!

In a nutshell, call the Access Board in Washington DC and ask to be connected to the 508 Technical Assistance Line. You can then discuss your issue in depth. It might even be with Marsha herself, although I can't promise that. The website is http://www.access-board.gov/. The phone numbers and address are as follows:

United States Access Board
1331 F Street NW, Suite 1000
Washington, DC 20004-1111
Voice: (202) 272-0080 or (800) 872-2253
TTY: (202) 272-0082 or (800) 993-2822
Fax: (202) 272-0081

Here is Marsha's answer to my email:

Sharon,

This is too broad a topic to address by email. Also, we are updating the current 508 Standards and should have a formal notice of proposed rulemaking available shortly (within weeks).  You should refer this person to our 508 TA line.

Marsha

Building Codes and Inspections

Sharon Toji