Building Codes and Inspections/Clearance bar requirements

Does drive thrus have to have clearance bar to let you know the height I'm in wv

I have just read through the building code of West Virginia for parking garages, and yes, it requires that entrance heights in parking garages be identified. This puts West Virginia in sync with other states, which generally require these clearance bars with the height indicated. Also, there is an ADA law that requires that vans that are wheelchair accessible be able to park, so that requires a specific minimum height.

I hope this is helpful. Remember, you can always go on line and by putting in your state and the building code, you can usually find it and read it. It takes a little time, but it is there.

Building Codes and Inspections

Sharon Toji

I have special expertise in the subject of accessibility codes and guidelines (ADA), and most specifically in the field of signage. If you have a question that is not about the ADA or about signs, I suggest you try the following excellent site: Naffa International BCDG (Building Code Discussion Group). The website address is You do have to register, but it's free. You will find discussions here on all kinds of Building Code Q & A topics. You go to the forum that sounds as if it's close to your topic, check out some of the posts and see if it sounds like a fit. Then pose your question. With luck, you may get some really good answers. You can email some of the experts individually by clicking on the headings of their posts. When you ask a question, of me, or of someone on the above site, tell them your state, and maybe your city if it's a large city. That is crucial for answering code questions. Sharon Toji

I am a voting delegate to the American National Standards Institute that writes accessiblity standards used by the International Building Code and are the basis for the ADA Accessibility Guidelines (ADAAG). I am also a member of the Access Advisory Committee to the California State Building Standards Commission, among other positions.

Signs and the ADA (a manual I have written that is used across the country), and articles in many trade journals.

BA, Reed College Graduate work, University of Munich (Germany) and University of California, Irvine