Building Codes and Inspections/Query..


Good day
Is there an building code that is internationally recognized ie. international building code.
What would such code be for commercial building and what would it be for residential building construction.
What other codes permit to commercial building construction and land development (subdividing)

Hi Sam -

The building code only applies when it is adopted by law in the jurisdiction in question.  The International Building Code has been adopted in some countries outside the US.  For residential construction there is the International Residential Code.  NFPA also has a building code - NFPA 5000.  Most jurisdictions make some modifications to those codes but those two publications are a good place to start.  I'm not sure about subdividing land...that is not covered by the codes that I work with.  I think that tends to be more of a zoning issue and varies by jurisdiction.

- Lori

Building Codes and Inspections

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Lori Greene


I can help with code questions related to doors and hardware. I am familiar with the IBC, NFPA 80, NFPA 101, NFPA 105, ADAAG, and ICC/ANSI A117.1. My expertise is specific to door openings.


I have worked in the door and hardware industry since 1986. I have conducted countless presentations on code requirements for doors and hardware, and maintain a blog related to doors and hardware (

Door & Hardware Institute (DHI) Construction Specifications Institute (CSI) National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) International Code Councel (ICC)

Doors & Hardware Magazine

Vermont Technical College, Associate Degree in Architecture and Building Engineering Technology - 1986

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]