Building Codes and Inspections/Query..

Question
Good day
Is there an building code that is internationally recognized ie. international building code.
What would such code be for commercial building and what would it be for residential building construction.
What other codes permit to commercial building construction and land development (subdividing)

Answer
Hi Sam -

The building code only applies when it is adopted by law in the jurisdiction in question.  The International Building Code has been adopted in some countries outside the US.  For residential construction there is the International Residential Code.  NFPA also has a building code - NFPA 5000.  Most jurisdictions make some modifications to those codes but those two publications are a good place to start.  I'm not sure about subdividing land...that is not covered by the codes that I work with.  I think that tends to be more of a zoning issue and varies by jurisdiction.

- Lori

Building Codes and Inspections

Lori Greene