Building Codes and Inspections/Question

Good day
Is there an building code that is internationally recognized ie. international building code.
What would such code be for commercial building and what would it be for residential building construction.
What other codes permit to commercial building construction and land development (subdividing)

Codes are laws passed by political subdivisions, and vary by location. What you need to do is contact the municipality where the building is (or will be) located to find out what codes, and amendments to those codes, and edition of the codes apply at a particular location.  The most prevalent codes are those published by the International Code Council at

The International Residential Code for one and two family dwellings and townhomes, and the International Nuilding Code for all other work.

Subdivision regulations tend to be more local and zoning based.  Zoning laws control land use, subdivision density, etc..

Building Codes and Inspections

Keith Fuller

I'm an ICC Certified Master Code Professional fielding general building code questions. My experience has been heavy in fire related issues.

I've been employed since 1985 as an inspector and plan reviewer, and am a municipal Assistant Building Official and Deputy fire Marshal. I've had fire service experience since 1972, having served as a three time Fire Chief and Fire Marshal in years past. The increasing workload, mandatory certifications, and continuing education requirements in recent years have caused me to concentrate my efforts on code related issues. I hold national fire service certifications as well.

ICC Master Code Professional