Building Codes and Inspections/Building codes

Question
I bout a house that the bathroom was in the process of being remodeled.no permit.some foundation work needs to be done as well.do I have to bring entire house up to current code standards

Answer
While the codes have different provisions in different areas, generally that which is new would have to comply with the code in force at the time the work is done, but areas not on the work area would not have to be brought up to current standards. There may be other provisions, like smoke or carbon monoxide detector upgrade,s that are triggered by the issuance of a permit for other work.  

Repairs generally don't require permits unless there are design changes provided the work was done with permits, if required, when the work was done.  What you should do is contact the Building Official in the municipality where the building is located for guidance.  

Building Codes and Inspections

Keith Fuller