Building Codes and Inspections/wall plugs opposite side shower

I tore our 40 year old 30x30 fiberglass one piece shower stall out and i live on second floor in area code 33410. There was some extra space to utilize to make the shower larger and do tile instead. There is a silver box which covers the wall plugs for the bedroom adjacent to the bedroom that is in between the metal wall studs. Will the code inspector find a problem with having durock walls for shower next to the box? Is a clearance area needed or can the wall outlet be removed if necessary? Maybe this is fine but I want to make shower larger. I can gain an extra 14 inches which looks like a lot. What is your thoughts? Since a permit is needed for the shower membrane, I have to supply the floorplan which the city cannot find. If I can't provide it then I can't legitimately have a permit done right? I don't know how to handle this situation but it is very scary! What should I do? I can email a picture of the plug in shower if it will help you to see what I am talking about.

What they want you to do is provide a plan showing the work you are proposing so it can be reviewed for code compliance.  Sketch up a drawing to show what you intend to do, and show the outlet in the adjoining room wall that is back-to-back with the shower.  If it is a violation, they will advise you.  You can always remove the outlet if it is an issue, provided the code does not require it to be there. You may also be permitted to move its location from the back-to-back position with regard to the shower.  Another choice is to provide GFCI and arc fault protection to that outlet as additional protection.

The Building Official in your municipality can guide you. as there may be local code amendments that I am not aware of. The it's a simple matter of getting whatever permits they required there, and having the work inspected.  It's probably not a situation where the work can't be done, but you certainly want to b3e safe.

Enjoy your new shower!

Building Codes and Inspections

Keith Fuller

I'm an ICC Certified Master Code Professional fielding general building code questions. My experience has been heavy in fire related issues.

I've been employed since 1985 as an inspector and plan reviewer, and am a municipal Assistant Building Official and Deputy fire Marshal. I've had fire service experience since 1972, having served as a three time Fire Chief and Fire Marshal in years past. The increasing workload, mandatory certifications, and continuing education requirements in recent years have caused me to concentrate my efforts on code related issues. I hold national fire service certifications as well.

ICC Master Code Professional