Building Homes or Extensions/garage door header

Question
I live in a 5yr. old ranch home with brick veneer construction.
The garage door is 18' metal clad. The brick above the header is cracking in the middle and at both ends. I suspect the header is not adequate to support the load.I would like to correct this problem by adding 2-2"x12"x18' header boards stacked vertically on the inside above the existing header. I would  then attach metal strapping 1/8"x2" to tie the headers together. I would of course temporarily raise and support the middle while this work is being done.
In your expert opinion, do you believe this will work and correct the sag.

Thank you, jim

Answer
Hi Jim, it certainly can't hurt.  Make sure your new beam has the crown up.  In other words sight down the board and you will see a hump in the middle that is the crown of the board .  By installing the crown up the board has more resistance to gravitational pull.  And as you mentioned, try to put some camber in the middle of your existing beam and hold it while installing the new beam above.  Also have you pulled a string line along the bottom of the existing beam to see if it is sagging?  If the existing beam isn't sagging your problem may be related to improperly installed veneer.  Sincerely Bruce Johnson  

Building Homes or Extensions

Bruce E. Johnson