Building Homes or Extensions/addition to home

I'd like to add a room on to our brick home - is there a disadvantage to going with post-frame construction?  I'm meeting with a builder tomorrow, are there any key questions I should ask?  I've not walked this road before and I have a lot to learn.

Hi Lorrie, frame or masonry can be used for your addition. Is your home made of all brick? Or is it masonry block with a brick exterior? Or is it frame with a brick veneer? If it is all brick as in a double wythe (two bricks thick) or triple wythe (3 bricks thick) your best bet would be masonry CMU walls with a brick exterior to match your existing.  If your house is frame with a brick veneer then I would probably try to match that type of construction.  If you don't want the addition to have a brick look you can go stucco or siding of your choice over CMU or wood frame.  Is one form of construction superior to another?  I used to promote wood over masonry, but after living in Florida for many years I have become a masonry person however I have done several successful wood framed projects during this time.  Cost wise, aside from the brick itself, wood or masonry come in at similar overall pricing when it is all said and done.  

Building Homes or Extensions

Bruce E. Johnson

I can answer any construction related question in regards to carpentry, concrete, drywall, masonry, structural elements of any type of building, residential or commercial. Interior or exterior.

Custom Commercial and residential buildings. Churches, theaters, schools and auditoriums. Most recently I am working with the Catholic Church on several design build committees. I have a website related to scheduling and project supervision. Although my expertise is more related to multimillion dollar commercial, educational and theatrical projects my generous credentials in residential and remodelling construction make me a viable source of information regarding all forms of building questions.