Building Homes or Extensions/creating recessed kitchen ceiling

Question
Hi Bruce,
I want to remodel my kitchen and would like to do the majority of the work myself, though I am a novice. My ceiling is currently the 80's style low 8' ceiling with the box recessed panel lighting. I want to remove all of that and bring the ceiling up about 10-12" and accent with moulding. Then make four holes for modern recessed lighting. Could you treat me like a "Drywalling for Dummies", and give me a step-by-step on how to do that? Also, how far from the cabinets would you make the edges and would you make the recessed design a perfect square or more rectangular? Would you try to stick to only taking out one board from the ceiling or cut into surrounding boards?
Thank you in advance!

Answer
Hi Chan, if your roof structure is manufactured trusses you can only realistically raise your ceiling up to the bottom chord of the trusses without some proper engineering.  Most dropped kitchen ceilings are 7' while the trusses above are 8'..this would allow you to raise your ceiling a foot.  Without knowing exactly how your roof system is framed it would be difficult for me to give much detailed information.  As far as your cabinets go, for a cabinet soffit I leave like a one inch overhang to at least stick out over the cabinet doors.  The framing is simple short studs down from the trusses above to the height desired then a short stud back to a ledger on the wall and toe nail into the ledger..I hope this info helps, feel free to write again regarding this or other matters, sincerely, Bruce johnson

Building Homes or Extensions

Bruce E. Johnson