Building Homes or Extensions/Frame on slab

We are having a home built.  They have finished the frame.  On inspection, we found that the frame extends beyond the slab by 1" - 2" on various parts of the home.  The north side has the most problems.  Is this a problem and if so, can it be fixed?  The contractor is meeting with us on 1/17 and we will bring up this issue with them.

Beverly, it is not unusual to not be exactly flush with the outside of the stem wall.  A good framer will make every effort to get the walls straight and square even if the concrete is slightly off.

You don't tell whether they are framing the outsides in 2x4 or 2x6.  A 2x4 overhanging the concrete an inch over a few feet would not worry me.  Overhanging 2" is more than 1/2 of the 2x4 and I would not want that condition to continue over much distance.

I'm sure your contractor will tell you something similar.  If there is any chance of not having sufficient critical load path to the footing, I would expect some remedial work such as 1/4" angle iron bolted to the stem to carry the unsupported framing.

You have every right to be concerned and the reaction of your contractor will tell you much about the future of your relationship.  There will be many bumps along the way that can be dealt with amicably, if both parties are looking for the best solutions.

I hope this helps.

Building Homes or Extensions

Dan Griffin

I can answer almost all questions related to the total construction process. My expertise is in commercial construction, though I can field most any residential question. I have hands on experience in concrete, heavy equipment, masonry, all phases of carpentry, interior finishes, and I am fairly strong in mechanical and electrical.

I have over 20 years experience as a commercial carpenter and commercial construction superintendent. I have another 20 years experience in facility management for a major school district.

My favorite hobby for he past 12 years has been singing bass in a The OkChorale men's barbershop chorus and the Mature Moments quartet.

I hold a Bachelor's degree in English and Math. I have completed many continuing education hours in the building trades. I hold a Master Carpenter card from the AGC, Associated General Contractors.