Building Homes or Extensions/Hanging weight from TJI Engineered Beams

Question
I recently bought a newly constructed house that was built using TJI engineered beams.  I'd like to hang a hoist for my Jeep's hard top (about 100 lbs., plus about 30 lbs. for the hoist.) from the ceiling in my garage, but I'm pretty sure that using lag screws into the bottom runners of the joists isn't a good idea.

The ceiling of the garage is sheetrocked, and there is a bedroom above it, so access to the joists themselves is limited.

What's the best way to accomplish my goal?

Thank you.

Answer
Hi Jeremy, you can take a 2x8 and cut it long enough to span from joist to joist  and using 3" deck screws screw the ends of the 2x8 to the joists and then screw a lag bolt style hook into the 2x8.. Three screws at each end should suffice.  Or you can take a 1/4" lag screw hook and screw it into the bottom of the joist directly after predrilling a 3/16" hole.. I don't think it will hurt the joist..if you have a way of checking there might be a row of bridging block down the center of the room you can screw to.  Sincerely Bruce Johnson  

Building Homes or Extensions

Bruce E. Johnson