Building Homes or Extensions/Installing a portico to stucco front

I currently have a home with a stucco front and would like to install a portico over the front entrance, when I hire a contractor to do this job what should I be looking for to make sure that the install is done correctly so that there are no water or structural issues in the future? Also are there any drawbacks to installing over stucco such as the integrity of the surrounding stucco material after the installation is complete.

Hi Jay,  without knowing exactly what your existing wall construction consists of I can only give some general responses to your question.  First of all, any attachments should penetrate the stucco into a structural member or solid concrete.  This penetration should be drilled with the appropriate type of drill bit. If the ledger used to connect the new structure to the existing wall is lower than your roof line and there is some wall face above the portico roof, this needs to be "flashed" properly.  One common method of flashing an existing stucco covered wall is to cut a shallow "reglet" into the stucco to allow the flashing to be inserted into it and sealed with a good urethane or silicone caulk.  Another method of flashing would be a surface mount where the caulking is put on the wall and the flashing mounted over the caulk using proper galvanized or stainless screws and then another bead of caulk applied along the top to seal the edge.

Always make sure that you have some roof pitch away from the house to prevent standing water from puddling against the wall of the house.  No matter how good you make a seal, the less water you have in that area the less chance you have of a leak, so if you can make your wall connection under an eave or overhang this will be preferable as well as following proper flashing procedures.

Finally, making sure you have adequate support for the new structure is important, i.e. a good foundation, because any settling or movement on the part of the new structure will affect the seal at the house.  This is another reason to use a good sealant, not just painters caulk .  

I hope this information helps, please feel free to write again regarding this or other matters, sincerely, Bruce Johnson,

Building Homes or Extensions

Bruce E. Johnson

I can answer any construction related question in regards to carpentry, concrete, drywall, masonry, structural elements of any type of building, residential or commercial. Interior or exterior.

Custom Commercial and residential buildings. Churches, theaters, schools and auditoriums. Most recently I am working with the Catholic Church on several design build committees. I have a website related to scheduling and project supervision. Although my expertise is more related to multimillion dollar commercial, educational and theatrical projects my generous credentials in residential and remodelling construction make me a viable source of information regarding all forms of building questions.