Building Homes or Extensions/Adding Loft

I just bought a second floor condo, my living room has a very high ceiling and its very spacious. I would like to add a loft to create a second floor however I am not sure how to build it securely and i am also concerned about the weight. I am considering adding beams for support but I am not sure if that would cause a problem with my neighbors downstairs. Any advice would be great thank you.

I'm sorry, but I can't really help with that, I would need to know the a lot more about the structure of the building. There shouldn't be any problems adding a loft, but you do need to be sure the floor is going to be strong enough to take the additional weight. Alternatively you may be able to support it from a wall/column. The best thing you can do is call a local contractor or architect. They should be able to advise exactly how to proceed.

Building Homes or Extensions

Martin Owen

Anything relating to the design and construction of extensions and loft conversions.

I currently work as an Architectural Technologist for, where I design extensions and advise on legal implications.

Degree in Architectural Design and Technology