Building Homes or Extensions/Adding Loft

Question
I just bought a second floor condo, my living room has a very high ceiling and its very spacious. I would like to add a loft to create a second floor however I am not sure how to build it securely and i am also concerned about the weight. I am considering adding beams for support but I am not sure if that would cause a problem with my neighbors downstairs. Any advice would be great thank you.

Answer
I'm sorry, but I can't really help with that, I would need to know the a lot more about the structure of the building. There shouldn't be any problems adding a loft, but you do need to be sure the floor is going to be strong enough to take the additional weight. Alternatively you may be able to support it from a wall/column. The best thing you can do is call a local contractor or architect. They should be able to advise exactly how to proceed.

Building Homes or Extensions

Martin Owen